Tagged as "libraries" via my GoogleReader

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why Archivists Go To Library School � Hack Library School

I was particular struck by the following passage of Stephanie Bennett's recent post, Why Archivists Go To Library School, on the Hack Library School blog:
Archivists, in some ways, are fighting a battle even more uphill than librarians. A bold statement, but hear me out. Everyone – well, nearly everyone – has been into a library at some point in their life. Schools of all kinds and for all ages, corporations, not-for-profits, even prisons have libraries. But who goes to the archives? Who even know what to go to the archives for? We archivists appeal to a more niche population. I spend a lot of time trying to explain what archives are and, most importantly, what they can do for “normal people,” because I don’t know how to duck those questions.
I wonder if anyone working in the field would disagree with this characterization?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More